Where the Sun Shines

Since 2003 I have worked with Canada World Youth and Change for Children in many places throughout Africa and Latin America. This website has served as a medium to share my experiences, to tell my stories from "the field". This year (2010) I will be returning to Mozambique to work as a project supervisor again with Canada World Youth.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Home Sweet Home

The journey home was long but does it ever feel SOOOOOOO.....good to be back home. The trip began at 7am when I left my sister's house. We were lucky to have acquired a ride with her pottery instructor, who happens to love Ali as her own daughter. Afterwards we headed straight down the AutoBaun at a speed of approximately 140km/hr. At such a speed we cruised into Frankfurt in great time, arriving shortly after 9am. Then went to the highly organized German Subway/Train system to retrieve a lost file folder that was found there the day I had arrived in Germany. Then off to the airport- to retrieve another lost bag that didnt make it to Africa, and then we went to check-in and I was off in the air.

Only 8 hours later did I arrive into Toronto, luckily for me the plane was late as it lessened my layover there from 5 to 3.5 hours. It took me awhile to get oriented to the new renovated Toronto airport; but I managed and found good ol' West Jet in due time. Then finally I was actually flying home to Edmonton! It felt so nice, but was I ever tired. I got into the Edmonton Airport at 10pm, which was 5am German time.

The next day I got a few phone calls and emails from friends to welcome me back home. I visited my old work at the Change for Children office, I went for coffee with my good friend Fiona and later for dinner with another good friend Janina. Later wouldnt you know it I left my lights on and the battery died. Luckily AMA came quick to the rescure and recoverd the car in no time at all. That was nice as I am super jetlegged and am having a hard time staying awake after 3pm, as that is when its time for bed in Europe/Africa.

This weekend one friend is hosting a welcome back party for me and another friend wrote a suggestion to make it a theme party: "ANTARTICA — the only continent Laura has never visited!" And of course the weather coincides — we'll all come wearing winter stuff, and it kind of looks like melting polar ice caps in Edmonton anyway... "
I thought that was too funny! It is cold here and there is still a lot of snow all over the place. The idea of being home is so great, home sweet home really nothing else compares...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home