Where the Sun Shines

Since 2003 I have worked with Canada World Youth and Change for Children in many places throughout Africa and Latin America. This website has served as a medium to share my experiences, to tell my stories from "the field". This year (2010) I will be returning to Mozambique to work as a project supervisor again with Canada World Youth.

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Back to Work

Since the beginning of June its been back to work for me! I signed my new contract with Canada World Youth and am very excited to be back working and keeping myself busy! My first week back was a week of training in Edmonton, after that it was straight to Montreal for a another week of training at the beautiful Jouvence. Then after a great week of training with the other 50 project supervisors coordinating projects like mine, it was straight home to Alberta and then off to my new host community- the small yet exciting town of Camrose!

The host community so far seems to be highly receptive of Canada World Youth and there sounds like there will be a number of cool interesting work projects and fun eco-projects for us to do in and around Camrose. For instance, we have been invited to help with a straw-bale house project, an eco-commune, a tree planting project at someone's cabin, a native tree planting project, etc, etc.... it already seems as though the list is endless.

I have already been in touch with my new counterpart- Marciana and it feels like we are going to work quite well together! She is a past particpant too and did the program as a project supervisor last year!

Each time I drive from Camrose to Edmonton I make a new fun music CD for the drive. Its great as it usually consists of South African and Mozambican music which is getting me super excited for the program!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
I am one of your participants, all the way from Nova Scotia. My sister found this blog by accident. I am now getting really excited for this to happen! I can't wait. Do you have any pictures from your time in Mozambique? I can't really talk now but we shall be in touch.

David Archibald, darchibald_4(at)hotmail.com

7:59 PM  
Blogger Ikem said...

So Laura was just reading your blog and about your trip to Germany where you visited your cousin...and it reminded me of MY OWN TRIP TO GERMANY...where I visited my cousin too!!! Funny story...we went to all these spas and saunas..and there was this one place where they had all these different fragrances in each sauana.....

hahhaha...hahahhaa...hahaha

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings,

I stumbled on your site looking for more Canada World Youth blogs- I'm currently participating in a CWY agricultural program between Nicolet, Quebec and Mali. We're leaving for Mali in a few weeks and I'm having an amazing time so far. You can check out my blog at www.quebecmali.wordpress.com and I'll certainly be checking back on yours.

Take care,
Nima Sabet , nsabet(at)rogers.com

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home