Where the Sun Shines

Since 2003 I have worked with Canada World Youth and Change for Children in many places throughout Africa and Latin America. This website has served as a medium to share my experiences, to tell my stories from "the field". This year (2010) I will be returning to Mozambique to work as a project supervisor again with Canada World Youth.

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Photos from Mozambique

My neighbour making shima - a popular Mozambican
dish made from maize.


One very cute host brother.
During a host family visit, I couldn't resist but take a photo!

Outside of the traditional church I went to with my
host mother in the host community in Mozambique.


The church congregation singing and dancing
in the rain after the 2 hr service which got cut short due to
the rain leeking into the church. But that didnt seem to stop them
from celebrating. It was really amazing to witness!

The trail to my host family's house in Manhica.
I used it every day to get to and from the town centre
and would always be greeted along my way.

My bedroom in my host family's house. I was pretty
impressed with what i got. My host mother,
Maezinha, was constantly upgrading my room in a
variety of ways (she brought me curtains, a radio,
a door, a light, etc.)I shared the small house with
only my host great grandmother. I felt pretty
lucky- they were a wondeful family.

My romatic outdoor toliet/washroom that I spoke about
earlier. This photo was taken the night I arrived.
It was quite an humbling experience!

Me at the top of the church tower. We climbed
it one day when we volunteered to clean the Catholic Church.

The view of Manhica, the host community,
from the top of the church tower.

I havent posted any photos in a long time, so I decided now that I am home with a speedy internet connection-that is free- I would have no excuse not to post some new photos of my experiences and moments in Southern Africa. Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home