Where the Sun Shines

Since 2003 I have worked with Canada World Youth and Change for Children in many places throughout Africa and Latin America. This website has served as a medium to share my experiences, to tell my stories from "the field". This year (2010) I will be returning to Mozambique to work as a project supervisor again with Canada World Youth.

Friday, April 13, 2007

Made it Home!

5 flights later and nearly 48 hours of travel and layovers I finally made it home...exhausted and with a cold that I have been battling with all week. Although the flights were long I had the fortunate opportunity of watching some amazing films on my way home. I LOVE the new system on BA where you can choose the films and when to watch them when you like. I watched: Bobby, In Pursuit of Happiness, Freedom Writters, and the Last King of Scotland. All of which I felt dealt with different forms of struggle, many of which included racial issues. I felt in some ways the films were sending me a message- that I must continue to work in areas that bring awareness to these struggles and in areas that strive to improve such hardships- as they are unfair and injust! Not sure if I was just deeply emotional when watching the films due to my lack of sleep, the emotions I have been feeling as I leave Africa for an indefinite amount of time, the forecasted culture shock of returning back home once again, or not, but somehow I thought that since I seem to understand and sympathsize with these struggles that I must continue to act and do something about them. In any case its just a thought that went through my mind as I reflected on what all these films meant to me as I travelled thousands and thousands of kilometres from Africa to North America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home