Where the Sun Shines

Since 2003 I have worked with Canada World Youth and Change for Children in many places throughout Africa and Latin America. This website has served as a medium to share my experiences, to tell my stories from "the field". This year (2010) I will be returning to Mozambique to work as a project supervisor again with Canada World Youth.

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Leaving Africa

As per usual in the life of Laura, things have been pretty busy the last few days, and it seems we havent stopped for much time to just sit back and relax. I guess that is why to a large extent I am flying home today and NOT extending my stay as I really feel I just need a week or two of doing nothing, and I feel so ready to go home and do just that.

The day the family left last Sunday we went to a beautiful church service at a traditional church in the township. It was the church were Nicholas' father is the pastor. It was a great family affair with a lot of singing and dancing and lively spirits. It reminded me a lot of my church experience in the host community in Mozambique. It was a very communal service where everyone played a role in the service, leading the singing, dancing, preaching and rejoicing. Very energizing and exciting, a truly unique African experience for all of us.

The night they left we met up with a few other CWY types- Clare, Molalo, & Tammy. And for the next few days we spent a lot of time together sightseeing, revisiting Cape Point and exploring the vineyards of Stellenbosh.

The last while I was in between Stellenbosh and the township- where everyone and their dog is faithfully celebrating Easter in a variety of different ways.

Finally here I am in Jberg, thankfully I got here as I had booked accidently booked myself on the wrong flight (I booked myself a flight from Jberg to Cape Town -not the reverse!) Luckily for me I got a seat on standby and only had to pay an extra 75R! i debated going to the Apartheid Musuem today, but by the time I got here, checked my bags in storage, and grounded myself it was close to 2pm, I would have only had a couple hours to check it out and i have been told you need a good half day to really do it right. So i guess you have to save something for next time and that will be what I will do then.... whenever that may happen to be? Instead i checked myself into the Southern Sun (5 star hotel) poolside, acted as a guest and had a something to eat and drink.

Well I better go, just over an hour till I got to get through security so I think its time that find myself a nice plate of seafood one last time here in South Africa!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home