Where the Sun Shines

Since 2003 I have worked with Canada World Youth and Change for Children in many places throughout Africa and Latin America. This website has served as a medium to share my experiences, to tell my stories from "the field". This year (2010) I will be returning to Mozambique to work as a project supervisor again with Canada World Youth.

Monday, August 01, 2005

34 days to go...

It's crazy, I am not entirely sure where the month of July went but its gone as its August already and I was just reminded by one of my participants that the count down has begun -there are officially now only 34 days to go till my team of 18 youth arrive here in BC and we begin our 6 month journey on the Canada World Youth soul train! I better enjoy some down time now, as I am expecting one heck of a ride! It's already getting pretty busy with recruiting all my host families, and work placements, preparing the participant orientation camp, communnity orientation week, the team budget, expenses, the educational plan, etc...

Despite the stress and anticipation of the participants' arrival in early September things have been going pretty good here. I have made a few friends and have been out hiking, biking and swimming, enjoying the beautiful mountain environment. I have been trying to bike more as its a pretty small town and really I am doing an "Eco-Leadership" program so I should use my CWY car as little as possible.

I am very excited to announce that Vadim is due to arrive this week, as he finally got his visa last Friday from the Canadian Embassy in Warsaw. So I am getting ready to make another road trip to Calgary to go pick him up! My sister, Ali, is also due to arrive this week, she plans to head out this way mid to late August and find some temporary work out here and save up a little tuition money before she heads back to Germany in October to start university there! That's right- my little sister Ali is doing University in German!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura I'm not sure if you'll read this before you're in calgary but please get in touch if you have time to do coffee before going to the airport!

Tamara G.

rivetgirl242 AT hotmail.com

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Laura and Vadim!
I'm happy for you Laura.

Simret

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura,

I just came across your blog by chance, and it is great to read that life is a joy.. It is great as well to read about your recent work-- fundamentally important work--in Africa and elsewhere.

Technology has its faults, but its ability to help people "keep in touch" is not one of them. I must say, finding your blog makes me a little sentimental for the U of A days--life certainly rushes forward, does is not?

Take care, all the best in your new position with CWY.. send me an e-mail when it is possible (and don't worry, I won't harass you about "multinational hamburgers" :)


-DJB

(nomcdonaldsforayear AT yahoo.ca)

-I thought this e-mail address would make you laugh..

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home