Where the Sun Shines

Since 2003 I have worked with Canada World Youth and Change for Children in many places throughout Africa and Latin America. This website has served as a medium to share my experiences, to tell my stories from "the field". This year (2010) I will be returning to Mozambique to work as a project supervisor again with Canada World Youth.

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

The time has flied by....

So its now only a matter of less than 4 weeks and I will leave Asmara, and Eritrea, and find myself in new places, like Kenya and later Russia. I can hardly believe the time has gone by so quickly. This week I gave my English students their final exam, and tommorrow we are having a graduation party at my house. The plan is to have a coffee ceremony in my living room. With my English classes over, I will devote the rest of my time to finishing the video projects I have started, and hope to get them completed before I leave. The process has been a little more challenging than I orignally anticipated, as the software I have is very simple, and the system I am using -my laptop- is a a far cry from a decent editing studio. In any case, we are using what we have and are trying to pull it altogether.
It already feels like I am leaving, as lots of friends have already left and more are due to leave soon. Gaby( or Gabri as it is in Dutch) one of my best friends here and former room-mate is leaving next week and I cant imagine Asmara or Eritrea without her. I guess its part of the nature of the place and the work where people are coming in and out of Asmara for short or longer contracts and are never here too long. My few months here in Eritrea working with the women has been great, but the time has really flied by and it seems very hard to imagine that in only a few short weeks I will be leaving the country....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oi Laura!!Sou eu Amanda!!De novo visitando seu blog!!Que lindas essas fotos da africa!!Nossa que lugar maravilhoso!!Eu queria muito estar ai com vocĂȘ e a Alisson!To com muita vontade de viajar de novo,conhecer lugares diferentes!!Manda um beijo pra Alisson,fala pra ela q eu to morrendo de saudades dela!!Meu e-mail continua o mesmo!amandaamaral1@hotmail.com

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laura,
I've been reading your journal, it is as interesting as any article in National Geographic, and the pics are great also, its a-mazing what you're doing over there. I am really proud of you and your work. Saw your mom a few week ago at Lawrence and Elaine's Anniversary, she looks great and seems very happy, although she sure misses you guys. Keep up the great work, and don't forget to take really good care of yourself.
Jennifer

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home