Where the Sun Shines

Since 2003 I have worked with Canada World Youth and Change for Children in many places throughout Africa and Latin America. This website has served as a medium to share my experiences, to tell my stories from "the field". This year (2010) I will be returning to Mozambique to work as a project supervisor again with Canada World Youth.

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Weaving Project

Last week with my work-mates I got the opportunity to leave Asmara and visit the town of Mendefera, to see NUEW’s office there. It was a beautiful drive as we drove across a mountain plateau and then into an amazing valley, which really reminded me of the landscapes back home, in particular the mountain range between Alberta and BC near Radium Hot Springs. In any case, while in Mendefera I visited NUEW’s sanitary napkin factory and clothing factory. I was pretty impressed, as the factory was very clean, spacious, and had an excellent ventilation system. The main purpose of our visit, however, was to monitor and evaluate the progress of a new weaving project NUEW has recently established in Mendefera. The women in the project are weaving beautiful traditional scarves to be sold locally and have been experimenting with tye-dye and have made some very funky scarves. I checked them out, and was trying to pick out just a couple and then ended up buying them all as they were all so beautiful and unique. Since I returned I have been showing other internationals the scarves and have already sent the women in Mendefera an order for 40 more tye-dyed scarves. I am hoping to send some up to Change for Children to be sold in our little fair trade gift shop, so if you are interested you may soon be able to get one in Edmonton at CFCA, or await my return in the summer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home