Where the Sun Shines

Since 2003 I have worked with Canada World Youth and Change for Children in many places throughout Africa and Latin America. This website has served as a medium to share my experiences, to tell my stories from "the field". This year (2010) I will be returning to Mozambique to work as a project supervisor again with Canada World Youth.

Monday, February 14, 2005

Visa Troubles...

So its now only a matter of days and my visa expires and I have yet to hear a positive answer from either the Ministry of Immigration or the Ministry of Labour. I am hopeful my work will continue to lobby on my behalf and all will be well in the end. But the past couple weeks have been hectic and busy writing letters and going here and there to present our case over and over. Its strange because the visa I originally asked for was for 6months, but in the end they only gave me 3 months, telling me that to extend the visa after a couple months would be no problem. In any case, the visa they have given me, a 3 month employment visa, is apparently impossible to extend, so in other words we must do the impossible, and somehow get it extended in order for me to stay and complete my 6 month contract. Robert the other Canadian intern working here went through a similar procedure and was here illegally for a few days but in the end got a work permit allowing him to stay and finish his contract. So stay tuned for the final verdict, which should be delievered tommorrow AM, as the President of the Union will go to talk with the powers that be at the Ministry of Immigration and hopefully work out some special case exception to the rule!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home