Where the Sun Shines

Since 2003 I have worked with Canada World Youth and Change for Children in many places throughout Africa and Latin America. This website has served as a medium to share my experiences, to tell my stories from "the field". This year (2010) I will be returning to Mozambique to work as a project supervisor again with Canada World Youth.

Thursday, December 30, 2004

Moving Houses

So one truckload and three taxis later I have finally moved houses. I had quite the collection of things to move, as my room-mates have both left the country and luckily left behnind a lot of things. As of today, I have now officially left 'The Palace', which was situated in a very rich community known here as Space. Now I live close to my work in the community of Gazabunda.Being close to my work, I can say goodbye to BUS #16, which was always overcrowded, as now I will mostly get around on foot, as the house is centrally located. The new house is also 1/3 the price of 'The Palace', and about 1/3 the size. It's an old Italian home, with a lot of character. My old room-mate and fellow Canadian, Lindsey, described it as sort of like a museum and we both agreed in Canada a house like it would probaly be an historical site. All the furniture is very old, and would be classified as antique.

One added bonus in the house is that there is presently running water, and there is a gas heater for warm water if I want to take a warm shower for a change, this is a big treat after having to use buckets everyday at the old place and where I would heat up the kettle in order to have semi-warm sponge baths. One problem, however, is the toliet as its not all that functional,we may end up using the squatter toliet out back with the neighbours behind the house. But all in all, besides the toliet I think it will be a good place for me and Vadim to live in for the next few months.

For those of you who prefer snail mail, you can write me at the following address:
Laura Roberts
National Union of Eritrean Women
P.O. Box 239
Asmara, Eritrea
East Africa

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey laura...
it's keith!
good to hear you are moved and liking the new digs...
sending love and windchill... :P
keep up the amazing work and hope your new year is awesome.
lovekeith

12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home