Where the Sun Shines

Since 2003 I have worked with Canada World Youth and Change for Children in many places throughout Africa and Latin America. This website has served as a medium to share my experiences, to tell my stories from "the field". This year (2010) I will be returning to Mozambique to work as a project supervisor again with Canada World Youth.

Friday, December 10, 2004

'Pay as you go'

So over the past week I have gotten a variety of illnesses and have had to visit the hospital here, where I witnessed how a 'pay as you go' health care system works! Please keep up the fight against the privatization of health services! (On a side note: I am glad in Alberta, the election went relatively well, as at least,we have a few more progressive voices speaking up against this form of privatization.

So anyways, last week I had a case of Delhi Belly, after a couple meals of local food, which of course was great fun, then I got a really bad cough, which worsened after going out dancing Sat nite with my international friends. Then I got a really bad backache after aerobics and riding my new bike all around town- and driving on all the not so flat roads in Asmara. In any case, work this week was nearly impossible as I could not sit for longer than half an hour without my back bothering me, so my work-mates insisted on taking me to the hospital. Belanyesh, one of my co-workers, was going anyways so I accompanied her but in the end decided not to go as to check in cost $30US and I thought my back really wasnt feeling all that bad. Nevertheless, I stayed with Belanesh and checked out the hospital and saw how their 'public' system works, where after paying to check in ($30 for foreigners and $5 for locals), you must pay additionally more $$ to be seen by a doctor and/or to recieve any types of services, such as a blood test, x-ray, lab test, etc. You must first visit the cashier, pay,and then when you show your receipt you will be treated. An x-ray, for instance, cost my co-worker 80NFA= $8US. Which is nuts, when you consider that she only makes about 1200 NFA/month= $100US.

Anyways, yesterday my back was much worse, I could barely move and I was feeling intense pain in my back and so I decided to bite the bullet and get it checked out. My co-workers picked me up, and took me. After we paid and checked in, we sat in the waiting room, amoung 100 or so other people. Little did I know while we were waiting one of my co-workers( a nurse and former fighter) was telling everyone I came from Canada to work with the women(NUEW) and that I was also a fighter for women's rights, etc. And then low and hehold they all let me jump the cue- which I really hadnt known until we were driving home and my co-worker explained that to me, otherwise I would have thanked them for their kindness.

To fight off the pain the Dr. presrcibed some strong pain killers , and when I went to get my precription filled, I was surprised to be handed three syringes with which i was supposed to inject myself with when needed, yikes!Seeing how I had a hard time getting my vaccinations filled back home before I left, I dont think I will be injecting myself with any sort of pain killers any time soon.

The Dr. also insisted I get an x-ray, so I went to get it done and then to my surprise the women doing the x-rays said there was no water so I was unable to get an x-ray done. Imagine a hospital without water.

Water is definetly a hot commodity here, since I have been here there have been most likely a total of 5 days when we have had running water. Most of the time we need to head out back and haul water in with buckets.

Long story short, I went home from the hospital, and Nedyat our awesome little maid took good care of me and today I am feeling 110% better.I didnt take any of super strong medications the Dr. prescribed, just a lot of rest, and a little TLC.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home