Where the Sun Shines

Since 2003 I have worked with Canada World Youth and Change for Children in many places throughout Africa and Latin America. This website has served as a medium to share my experiences, to tell my stories from "the field". This year (2010) I will be returning to Mozambique to work as a project supervisor again with Canada World Youth.

Friday, February 18, 2005

VISA PROBLEM SOLVED!!

This week was very hectic and extremely busy, as it was not until the 11th hour that I was granted my visa in the end! I was getting prepared for deportation, as I had thought we had tried all avenues and weren’t getting anywhere. I even went to the Canadian Consulate in complete desperation hoping they might be able to assist my case. That was funny and scary, as the Honorary Consul told me that I should be prepared for the immigration police to come take me from my home, detain me and then await my court date. He said he has already had to bail some Canadians out of jail, who were in a similar situation. And he actually advised me to go to Nairobi or Yemen. After that point on Wed at 4pm, the day before my visa expired, I was completed stressed and overwhelmed and of course naturally had a good cry at work when I returned to the office. That was also interesting, because the ladies at my work were getting mad at me for crying: “why are you crying?” they asked me “ you shouldn’t cry you will go back to a nice rich country, you have no reason to cry”. It was true, if I would have been deported I would have had to return to Canada, a rich, safe and developed country, where there is always water, electricity, and plenty of food. But that was besides the point, I wanted to stay here in Eritrea as I very much enjoy my work and the people, I have made some good international friends, love going out of the city whenever I get the chance to and very much enjoy my time here in Asmara and want to finish my contract. Thankfully, NOW- as of 5 minutes ago, that is all possible, as I was finally granted a new visa at the Ministry of Immigration, which will allow me to stay for the next 3 months- my visa problem is solved!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home