Where the Sun Shines

Since 2003 I have worked with Canada World Youth and Change for Children in many places throughout Africa and Latin America. This website has served as a medium to share my experiences, to tell my stories from "the field". This year (2010) I will be returning to Mozambique to work as a project supervisor again with Canada World Youth.

Saturday, March 12, 2005

Happy Belated Women's Day!

The weekend Ali arrived we traveled to Massawa and took a trip to the Dhalak Islands. The trip was amazing, we had a full group of 15 people from many different countries. The snorkeling was amazing, I LOVE snorkeling and I even saw a shark!!!
After the trip we came back to Asmara, I worked Monday, and then we were off to Keren with my work to celebrate women’s day. There were similar celebrations going on throughout the country. My work really organized a great celebration recogizing the amazing efforts of women throughout the country. Early that day we started off at the women's training centre,where there was some dancing, singing and drumming,later that was followed by Ali's first coffee ceremony. After we had a great vegetarian lunch(due to Lent everyone is fasting- which means great veggie food). Then we headed to the stadium where groups of women and girls were marching to, carrying slogans of equality and women’s rights. There the stadium was packed with women, and there were all sorts of activities- more dancing and singing, a tug of war, a track race, and an awards ceremony for girls' with best academic standing.In short it was a great women's day spent with great, inspiring women!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home