Where the Sun Shines

Since 2003 I have worked with Canada World Youth and Change for Children in many places throughout Africa and Latin America. This website has served as a medium to share my experiences, to tell my stories from "the field". This year (2010) I will be returning to Mozambique to work as a project supervisor again with Canada World Youth.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Life is Busy!

Hard to believe but the summer is over and winter is on its way. I spent my last weekend of freedom before the team arrived in Canmore with some good friends! It was great- we camped out at the municipal campground again, had a great amazing BBQ, did a little hiking, drank a lot coffee and ate some gourmet bagels in the company of great friends and family!

The last week before the participants arrived I finally confirmed my last 4 host families and in light of this acheivement I decided to treat myself to some much needed R&R.

Since then its been go, go, go.... Sept 6 through to Sept 12 I was North of Edmonton at the Participant Orientation Camp. During this week we get to know eachother and go over the basics of the program. The next week from Sept 13th to Sept 19th we had another camp known in CWY lingo as Community Orientation Week. Introducing the team to the community, having them do a scavenger hunt, meet the Police, learn a bit about the local environment and local history. As well we did a review of the overall educational plan for our next 6 months together!

Then yesterday, FINALLY, work placements began! While they all found their ways to their first day at work I finally got a chance to get away and went to the pool. I have been neglecting to exercise since my life has been completely occupied with my job and the team! It was nice to finally have some time to myself, to enjoy the pool and I found some peace in the heat of the sauna after my swim.

Work Placements have been a bit of a challenge this week, as three of the workplacements that are in schools have a PD day tomorrow, meaning no school and the weather has been been horrible so all the outdoor workplacements have been cancelled, but in light of these obstacles we have been juggling the participants around and have found work for everyone. In some cases this has meant 4 people at the Recycle Depot and another 4 at the Restore, but all in all they are all working and that is the main point!

My group and my counterpart are great. So far, so good, it already feels way different than the stress me and Aggie went through last year. We have spotted a few red flags but nothing that seems unmanageable. I think they will be a really good group and will make the most of this incredible opportunity. I hope to try and document most of the program through the regular updates on the blog. Stay tunned for new photos!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home