Where the Sun Shines

Since 2003 I have worked with Canada World Youth and Change for Children in many places throughout Africa and Latin America. This website has served as a medium to share my experiences, to tell my stories from "the field". This year (2010) I will be returning to Mozambique to work as a project supervisor again with Canada World Youth.

Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Overdue Update

A real update on this blog is LONG overdue. Since I last wrote I was in South Africa on my internship, working with StreetNet International. Overall my time in Durban was a great professional learning experience. I learned very clearly through my time and work there that I flourish in an environment of political action, whereby I can contribute in some way to improving the lives of others. It was empowering to see all the highly conscious and empowered people I was working with. I miss that kind of environment as back home here in Alberta I feel many of us are not empowered to become active in the political process nor are many of us aware of the issues and how we can make a difference!

After that experience I emerged back into my studies, ploughed away at another semester in Berlin at the Berlin School of Economics. I thoroughly enjoyed my classes, the majority of which were in the area of economics and economic policy! it was challenging but really exciting at the same time, learning about inflation, wages, GDP, etc. I lived in student housing,Goerzalle, in an suburb of the city called Stiglitz. We were a little far from the "happening" part of the city, but we made due with what we had and enjoyed our little area. We did lots of group dinners, bbqs, parties, enjoyed the local cafes, restaurants and regularly dined on inexpensive Turkish food. We also had a nearby swimming pool and a beautiful canal with bikes paths along each side, we would often go there for walks, runs, bike rides. Also nearby was a our infamous weekend fleamarket where you could browse and almost always find some small treasure to bring home.

After 5 months of classes we are all working on finishing up our master's thesis and by mid Sept we handed them in and defended them a week later! On that same day, as our defense, we also graduated and had one big graduation party at student bar in Goerzalle.

Right after that big party I went to another big party, as my younger sister Ali got married in small German village near Kassel. Her wedding was absolutely lovely; she looked absolutely gorgeous and her husband looked quite handsome as well. It was really was a fairytale wedding, from start to finish it was magical and exciting.If I ever get married I would want something just as beautiful.

After her wedding I traveled around a bit. First I went to Mallorca (an island off the coast of Spain) with Janina, a good friend from Canada who came for the wedding. We got our share of sun, sangria and relaxation on the beach where the weather was fantastic, around 25 degrees. We spam in the sea every day and really enjoyed life!

After that I met up with my mom, her partner and the newlywed couple in France for a little family holiday. We stayed in a 15th 4 story house, which to me felt like staying in a little French castle. I absolutely loved it! After 5 days together everyone left and then I had the place all to myself for a couple days, which was really nice, as I think it was the first time I could really relax and be at peace in a long time as prior to graduation things were rather hectic with finishing up my thesis.

After that I came back to Germany and did a bit of circuit visiting and staying with friends from my program. I even made a trip over to Holland to visit a classmate and some Dutch friends. Finally I decided it was time to go home and I booked my return ticket home for mid November. When I first arrived I was lucky as the temperature was almost tropical according to our standards, as it was hovering around plus 5 degrees. Now however its barely safe to set food outside, unless of course you are very well bundled up, with all the necessary scarves, gloves, hats,mits, winter parka, etc, or else you are liable to freeze since it is now minus 25.

Apart from the freezing temperatures I have been managing just fine here at home with mom. I have been helping her with some odd jobs around the house such as reorganizing, renovating and painting the bathroom! For fun I have been back at my regular salsa routine, practicing my new moves and re-connecting with old friends. I also just joined a gym,and plan to get back into shape! I have already been to a hip hop dance class and gone swimming; this weekend I plan to try yoga and a bellydance class! So to sum up: life is good I am one happy camper!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home