Where the Sun Shines

Since 2003 I have worked with Canada World Youth and Change for Children in many places throughout Africa and Latin America. This website has served as a medium to share my experiences, to tell my stories from "the field". This year (2010) I will be returning to Mozambique to work as a project supervisor again with Canada World Youth.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Durban Politics

Today we went to an interesting meeting with the city manager, where I was thoroughly appalled by the manner in which he suggested the street traders will go from orange sellers to big business owners all through the help of the private sector and the development of a mall. And not just any mall, but one which will go directly over an area were thousands of south africans are presently trading and making a living! I was brave and challenged the city manager on several of his points. In his general response, to all the questions the crowd had, he made reference to my several of my points and then by way of a comeback , as I think he thought I was American, he blamed the American economic crisis for massive unemployment in Durban. Little does he know I am a Canadian and have a little less to do with the economic crisis than he thinks....

When we returned to the office, my coworker thanked me for my intervention and I was happy to have been so productive. It was a moment where I truly felt my politicial science background was being put to good use! I think I will learn lots through working at Streetnet and that it will be a steep learning curve but a very rewarding and exciting opportunity!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most South African Politicians never want to take the responsibility they always put blame to apartheid then i think it should be a great opportunity for them to develop south Africa and put their skills to use in resolving and developing south Africa.

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home