Where the Sun Shines

Since 2003 I have worked with Canada World Youth and Change for Children in many places throughout Africa and Latin America. This website has served as a medium to share my experiences, to tell my stories from "the field". This year (2010) I will be returning to Mozambique to work as a project supervisor again with Canada World Youth.

Monday, February 02, 2009

Kassel Update

The last few weeks have been flying by and I can hardly believe that it is already February and the semester is nearly finished. My sincerest apologies for the lack of updates on the blog. I hope that I will get better at keeping it up while I am away next month in South Africa.

Nonetheless what can I say regarding my studies and time here in Germany? In general I still am thoroughly impressed by the programme and my overall learnning environment. I dont think I realized how much I would enjoy being a student again, really having the time to fully engage in reading and researching about topics that really fascinate me! The main topics I have focused on during my first semester have included: the role of pension funds in financial crisis, the politics of export processing zones, trade policies and the global food crisis, and finally my most recent, and defintely most intensive, research topic of the semester was in my qualitative research methods class where we traced the process that led to the involvement of trade unions in the protection of migrant domestic workers. This project was A LOT of work, though in the end very rewarding. The research included several formal and informal interviews with trade unionists, activits, domestic workers, aupairs, etc. All and all very interesting, as I re-learned the important role of social movements in political process! The work for Social Movements DOES make a difference!

Truthfully speaking I am really enjoying the active engagement with my inner spirit that seeks to understand why all the injustice and greed in this world!Through my studies I have been learning more about the political and economic realities that allow such conditions to take palce. Having said that I actually feel pretty privileged to have the time and money to really take time off and actually reflect on these questions.

By this time next week I will have completed the semester and will find myself in Durban, South Africa ready to start my 6 week internship with an organiation called StreetNet! I will be voluntarily working there as an intern through till the end of March and then I shall come back to Berlin. But before Berlin, I plan to make a a short trip to Mozambique! I cant wait to vist that wonderful, magical place again!

Finally, I should mention as exciting as it sounds to go to South Africa I am actually a bit sad to be leaving Kassel. I have recently developed a good group of friends with many clasmates from the programme and from my German class. We have had been having all sorts of outings, dinners, get togethers,etc.Again reinforcing its not always about the location but the people you meet and connect with. I have also really enjoy my apartment here, despite its expensive price tag and less to be desired location, I am feeling very much at home at Mombachst 38. Especially living with my two Chinese room-mates, Elaine and Miao, they have been so great! Truly speaking an intercultural experience! I will also miss being able to speak almost all the languages I have ever studied on a regular daily basis here in Kassel! Its been such a rare opportuity whereby I can utlize all my language skills nearly everyday--- speaking Portuguese, Spanish, Russian and some French! Also I will miss the bourgouise student mensa(German for cafeteria) with its great subsidized lunches.... and of course I will also miss my fun Friday night salsa rueda classes!

All in all, it has been great. I have recently made some new friends and dont want to leave them and Kassel behind but unfortuately I must move on and off to South Africa I must go...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home